COMM 120 Media Law
1. BA Journalism
2. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan -- Despite being a story of Chinese women, this book taught me to imagine myself and the people around me more complexly as well as appreciate my roots and give more importance to my Filipino culture (which, before then, I had so wanted to escape).
3. A Very Long Engagement (dir. Jean-Pierre Jeunet) -- This film has a one-of-a-kind way of telling a love story: through a woman who is told that her lover had perished in the war but remains convinced that he is alive. I love this movie not only for its unique plot and impeccable acting but also because it's a story about relentless hope.
4. Hank Green -- After rising to cult fame, founded Complexly, a production company responsible for many known educational channels on YouTube, such as CrashCourse, SciSchow, Mental Floss, Healthcare Triage, Sexplanations, The Art Assignment, and The Financial Diet, just to name a few. He is my favorite media practitioner because he was able to accomplish great professional success by pursuing projects he is genuinely passionate about and without compromising his humility and humanity in the process.
5. Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles -- Aside from its catchy tune and distinctive synth pop style, I like its message about celebrating technology while being wary of its impact on society.
6. Pork Xiao Long Bao from Din Tai Fung -- It's light enough that you can come to dinner with only half an appetite and eat one or two but still filling enough that you can order 10 pcs. and have the entire serving for yourself.
7. Creative writing (nonfiction, poetry, short stories, essays), makeup and skincare, reading (nowadays, mostly contemporary Filipino nonfiction)